In the Langkawi Archipelago, there are approximately 100 islands, of which only four are inhabited, one of them is the island of Langkawi where it is the largest island in this archipelago. The island is about 29 km long and 16 km wide and is inhabited by approximately 65,000 people, who live in Kuah, the capital and some of the surrounding villages. The population mainly depends on tourism in addition to agriculture and fishing. The island is full of forests and green areas so it is the best attractor for tourists from inside and outside Malaysia.
The best way to get to Langkawi from Kuala Lumpur is by plane as the island has its own small airport. From Penang Island, you can reach Langkawi either by plane or fast ferry connecting the two islands.
There are exchange offices and bank branches at the airport, but the exchange rate is very low. We advise you to exchange your money in Penang or Kuala Lumpur before you come.
Public transportation is limited in the capital, so a taxi is the most convenient means of transportation, especially in areas that are far from the center. You can order a taxi either by phone or you can find it parked next to the tourist attractions.
A visit to the island with the family will be a great experience, and we suggest the following activities for you:
- Visit the Oriental Village in Burau Bay. In addition to shops, it is a cultural destination designed specifically to reflect the idea of tax-free marketing products and also hosts many well-known restaurants, which reflect the history of the colonies. In the village, there are many enjoyable activities such as elephant riding, horse riding, and playing with rabbits. There is also a deer park where you can feed deer and take souvenir photos.
- At the end of the eastern village, you will find the SkyCab mountain cable car that can take you towards the summit on a journey that takes about 15 minutes. The cable car stops at several stations all around over the surrounding plateaus. One can buy a ticket for MR 55 for adults and MR 40 for children.
- The cable car ticket itself allows you to attend the ten-minute show in SkyDome, you can attend the show while the cable car is waiting. You will stay in a cinema-like room to find that the chairs move to make it easier for you to see the dome ceiling where you will travel in the space with the stars.
- Visit the 3D Art Langkawi exhibition which also included with the same ticket. This gallery contains many 3D graphics that will be very exciting for children and adults, as the pictures they will take there will remain in their memories for the rest of their life. You have to pay attention to the place where you stand when you took a photo for them, you will find signs on the ground for the correct place of standing that will ensure that you will get a perfect 3D picture.
- The same ticket can be used to enter SkyRex, a moving vehicle that will take you on a journey with the dinosaurs in interaction between the light and sound.
- The cable car reaches one of the most famous and recent tourism projects in Langkawi, which is the SkyBridge Suspension Bridge, it is 125 meters long and 1.8 meters wide and takes the form of a special curve suitable for pedestrians. The Langkawi Bridge is one of the most beautiful tourist attractions in Langkawi and it is the first of its kind in the world as a suspension and curved bridge at the same time. It offers breathtaking views of forests, islands and the sea, and the entry price of the bridge is MR 5 for adults and MR 3 for children. It is an adventure for the strong heart persons who do not fear the heights as part of the floors of the bridge is transparent glass.
- You can also try SkyGlide, the cart that connects the highest station with the Sky Bridge in Langkawi, you can ride it with 12 other people, and its ticket is separate from the bridge crossing ticket at a price of MR 10 for adults and MR 7 for children. At the top, you can buy a lock and hang it on the love bridge and throw the key, a moral symbol of endless love.
All of the above destinations are in one area and operate from 9:30 AM until 7:00 PM. To be close to them, we advise you to spend 2-3 days relaxing in one of the most beautiful resorts in Langkawi, which is Berjaya Langkawi Resort which is located within 20 minutes drive from the airport and within a walking distance from the activities mentioned above.
Berjaya Langkawi Resort located in a tropical forest, this resort offers Malaysian-style chalets with private balconies and contemporary furnishings. The seafront property includes 4 restaurants, 3 bars, and an irregular outdoor pool. Free Wi-Fi is available in all areas of the resort.
The resort owns a full fleet of golf carts and their drivers that are used to transport visitors and their belongings between the chalets and reception center.
Also, there is a free ride from the resort that can take you to the Oriental Village and the other destinations above.
More to see in Langkawi