Santorini, or the Greek island of lovers, is one of the most beautiful islands on the Mediterranean. Its area is 76.19 km² and it is ranked among the top 20 travel destinations and among the top 10 islands in the world.
The island is located to the south of the Aegean Sea in southeastern Greece. The island has beautiful scenery as it mixes blue water and steep slopes filled with historical buildings with white and blue domes, which made it a destination for romance and relaxation lovers.
The most convenient time to visit this island is the start of the Greek Easter season in April, when the weather is mild from April to June. In contrast to the hot weather, which reaches temperatures of 30 degrees Celsius during the months of July and August, which are preferred by beach lovers. Prices are higher in the summer period, but marine activities increase significantly, while this activity and tourism movement subsides during the winter months from December to March. Prices rise to their peak during the summer, but the frequency of sea and air trips also increases. Also, the number of tourists decreases from December to March due to the cold weather and frequent rains.
You can travel either by plane (Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos”) or by ferryboat (Piraeus Port). There are also links between Santorini and other Greek islands. The flight from Athens to Santorini takes only 45 min, while the trip duration by ferry ranges from 4.5 to 7.5 hrs (depending on the type of ferry). Nonetheless, traveling by ferry is a unique experience, especially when weather conditions are good.
Santorini is characterized by the presence of a very large number of picturesque and natural places that honeymooners can spend their honeymoon due to its many features and activities at a minimal cost. You can spend three days to a week in Santorini without getting bored.
Santorini attracts more than two million tourists each year — the white-and-blue washed island in the Greek Cyclades is basically heaven on earth. But it’s also about twice as expensive as Athens, with hotel prices in the summer climbing to $250, on average, per night. You can get a good offers on Booking, Hotels, Trip and hotellook.
The average cost of food in Santorini is €33 per day. Based on the spending habits of previous travelers, when dining out an average meal in Santorini should cost around €13 per person. Breakfast prices are usually a little cheaper than lunch or dinner.
The Most Important Places in Santorini
The best way to get around Santorini is on foot or by bus. You’ll see that it’s easy to walk around the tiny seaside towns, but the bus is best to get from one town to another. There are KTEL bus routes from Fira (the capital city) to many different destinations around the main island.
One of the best accommodations on the island, it is famous for its impressive buildings, delicious Greek cuisine, and stunning views with romantic sunset views.
It is the capital of Santorini and the most important and most visited part of the island. It is located on the edge of a high cliff, with panoramic views of the submerged volcano. Here, you can Discover the famous white and blue houses and wander in picturesque narrow alleys.
A wonderful village located in the north of Santorini, about 2 km from the village of Fira, it is a romantic and ideal place to watch the sunset.
The photos will be great and the memories will be unforgettable when you see the blending of blue waves with the red beach sand.
Columbo Bay Beach
Columbo Bay Beach is 10 km from Fira Village. A great place to relax, being quiet, secluded and enjoying a great view. Make sure to have some snacks and water with you, as there are no nearby restaurants.
Transportation in Santorini
Buses, trains and metro are the cheapest transportation methods available and are suitable for everyone. Also, you can use the ferries to navigate the islands.
The Food in Santorini
Of course it is well known that Greece presences healthy and very delicious foods, as restaurants have all kinds of foods to suit all different tastes, of course in Santorini island, there is a group of restaurants on the beaches with a very delicious seafood and the prices are suitable. In your honeymoon, you can also eat delicious fish and Levantine and western dishes.
The most important activities in Santorini
As you enjoy honeymooners in Santorini, there are a number of places and events that should not be missed:
- The sunset scene is the most attractive experience for everyone in Santorini, especially for couples looking for a romantic fantasy setting. There are many hotels with attractive views on the edge of a mountain overlooking the sea, giving you a daily opportunity to watch the sun disappear in the sea. You can also see a good view of the sunset from the cliffs of Oia or Fira, or while on a boat trip.
- You can enjoy the beauty of Santorini, hot springs and beaches by boat trip.
- Vedema Health Resort is surrounded by the sparkling turquoise waters of the Aegean Sea, which is a quiet destination for holidays in the sun and offers a very high standard of accommodation through suites and villas, and provides an attractive jacuzzi and swimming pool.
One of parameters (id, slug) is required
code_form has invalid value
- Walking along the caldera from Fira to Oia is one of the most famous things to do in Santorini on a scenic trip of 3-5 hours.
- Visit the “Amoudi Bay” summit located near the port of Oia, in the northwest, which are red cliffs that people consider one of the best places to swim on the island. Where visitors jump from the top of the summit to the sea.
- The experience of riding donkeys from either the old port to Fira or from the “Amoudi Bay” summit to Oia is one of the experiences that will never be forgotten.
- The diversity of foods and drinks on the island is one of the things that made Santorini special. There are many restaurants that offer the most delicious and varied meals. In addition to parks, cafes and ice cream shops.
- Have dinner at Mezzo. Mezzo is an old mansion featuring traditional architecture, built in rock in 1891, renovated in 1979 as a traditional hotel. In 2012, the traditional Mezzo Restaurant was added to the hotel. The restaurant is open on 3 levels where the view changes successively between the volcano, sunset and magical Oia.
- The Oia Port area and the “Amoudi Bay” summit area is famous for its traditional Greek taverns with fresh fish, as well as the charming view of a surprisingly romantic sunset. Make sure to book before visiting, especially as restaurants with stunning views are very popular with visitors.
- Open-air cinema Kamari is a great opportunity to watch a movie outdoors in its English version with Greek subtitles. The cinema opens its doors at 20:30 PM and the movie starts at 21:30 PM.
- Rowing, swimming, diving, or mountain climbing are popular activities on the island.
- One of the places to be visited is Akrotiri, an ancient city buried under volcanic ash.