Christmas in Rome is a truly special experience. The city is filled with holiday cheer, and there are so many fun things to do and see. Here are a few of the top things to do during Christmas in Rome:
- Visit the Vatican City: The Vatican City is a must-see destination during the holiday season. The pope gives a special Christmas Day address at the Vatican, and the city is adorned with beautiful holiday lights and decorations. Be sure to visit St. Peter’s Basilica, which is especially stunning during the holiday season.
- See the holiday lights: Rome is known for its beautiful lights, and the holiday season is no exception. The city is filled with festive holiday lights and decorations, and you can take a leisurely walk through the city to admire them. Don’t miss the holiday lights on the Via del Corso and the Piazza Navona, two of the city’s most iconic squares.
- Go ice skating: The Rome Ice Park is a popular spot for ice skating during the holiday season. It’s open from late November through early January, so you can enjoy a festive skate no matter when you visit.
- Visit a Christmas market: Rome has several Christmas markets, or “mercatini di Natale,” where you can find unique gifts and souvenirs. The market at the Piazza Navona is a popular option, as is the one at the Castello Sant’Angelo. You’ll find everything from handmade crafts to international food and drink.
- See a holiday show: Rome is home to many holiday-themed shows and performances, such as the Rome Ballet’s production of The Nutcracker. These shows are a great way to get into the holiday spirit.
No matter what you decide to do, you’re sure to have a festive and memorable holiday season in Rome. Happy holidays!